Income Tax Essentials for Visa Holders
Earn 2 CEs with Jean Mammen, EA
March 21, 2019 from 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm EST
Member: $52 Non-Member: $72
Live Online IRS Program Number: X9QQU-T-00555-19-O
Self-Study IRS Program Number: X9QQU-T-00555-19-S
Many basic principles of the U.S. income tax code apply to both U.S. citizens filing a 1040 and visa holders and other non-citizen individuals who, if they need to file a U.S. tax return, might be filing on a form 1040 or form 1040NR.
Common basic principles include tax home, source of income, and the need to file a tax return when an exclusion or deduction from income is being asserted.
Upon completion of the course, you will be able to:
1. Determine residency using the IRC rules.
2. Determine the filing form for a visa holder.
3. Identify treaty benefits for income exclusions.
4. Advise individuals on potential elections and their effects on residency and income reporting.
5. Identify reporting requirements after changing residency from tax non-resident to tax resident (FICA, FBAR, 3520).
6. Explain tax issues from immigration law and IRC.
Jean Mammen, EA
Jean Mammen, EA, is the author of "1040NR? or 1040? U.S. Income Tax Returns for Visa Holders + International Organization and Foreign Embassy Employees", now in its 7th edition. She is a retired Foreign Service Officer. Mammen practices in Washington, DC, and for over 20 years she has advised individuals who live and/or work outside their home country.
- Be sure to take both parts of the system test, specifically the Sound and Video tests. Go to: http://eventcenter.commpartners.com/se/Meetings/BrowserTest_New.aspx?account.id=CommPart
- Your browser must support HTML-5. To detect your browser version, go to https://whichbrowser.net/
- We recommend the following computer operating systems and browsers:
- Internet Explorer 12 or greater
- iOS 10 or greater
- Safari 10 or greater
- Edge 14 or greater
- Firefox 52 or greater
- Chrome 60 or greater
- Mac OS X 10.9 or later
- Windows 7 or later
- We DO NOT RECOMMEND using Internet Explorer 11 when using Windows 7 since that browser does not support HTML 5. We suggest Firefox or Chrome.
- If on WiFi use a hard-wired Ethernet connection.
- For optimal viewing, please join on a laptop or desktop computer.
Communications from NAEA
Upon registration, you will receive the following four (or possibly five, if you did not attend the live webinar) e-mails from NAEA's e-learning partner, Commpartners, sent with a subject line: NAEA webinar: <insert course title>
- Registration confirmation
- Instructions on how to access the webinar, handouts, quiz and evaluation.
- Live webinar reminder
- When webinar recording is ready
- User did not attend the live webinar
A list of frequently asked questions is available here.